The annual UCD ESRI Energy Policy Research Workshop took place online on Wednesday 29th September. The focus of the event this year was on Energy and Society in Climate Mitigation and featured presentations relating to “Technology and Innovation” and “Leaving no one behind in the energy transition”. The event featured a series of interesting presentations from researchers in both ESRI and UCD Energy Institute, and was followed by a panel discussion.
See below for the event overview with links to the recordings and the presentation slides.
10:15 Session 1: Technology and Innovation – Chair: Dr Miguel Angel Tovar, ESRI – watch here
- Welcome by Alan Barret (ESRI) and Andrew Keane (UCD Energy Institute)
- Rinalini Lahon, Sarah Stanley, Ciara O’Dwyer and Damian Flynn (UCD): Data centres’ contribution to the Irish energy system – slides
- Dr Genaro Longoria (ESRI): Hydrogen for heating and its Impact on the power system – slides
11.20 Session 2: Leaving no one behind in the energy transition – Chair: Mary Doorly, UCD – watch here
- Aparajita Banerjee and Geertje Schuitema (UCD): Exploring community acceptance – slides
- Miguel Angel Tovar (ESRI): Carbon tax and fuel poverty – slides
12:20 Panel discussion: Ireland’s climate targets and research insights – Chair: Lisa Ryan, UCD – watch here
- Marie Donnelly – Climate Change Advisory Council
- John Melvin – Commission for the Regulation of Utilities (CRU)
- Ellen Diskin – ESB Networks