UCD Energy Institute plays an integral part in the energy transition, endorsing a net zero carbon energy system, promoting modernised integrated energy systems while empowering the citizen through education, innovation and digitalisation.
We drive the evolution of research into practice into action and strive to:
- Close the research to industrial deployment gap
- Influence energy policy implementation at Irish and EU level
- Grow and strengthen our positive international profile
- Impact constructively on economic growth
- Develop a talent pipeline and graduate training for the Irish energy sector
The Institute is hub of energy education, research, demonstration and outreach at University College Dublin. Interdisciplinary cooperation, collaboration and creation bring together all our members whose area of expertise align to our thematic strands of Energy Systems; Energy Management and Energy in Society. Our members come from a range of disciplines: power system engineering, energy economics, energy in the built environment, energy management and end use, consumer behaviour, energy markets and policy, energy finance, renewable energy technologies and the energy-water nexus among others.
The breadth of activity is captured by 3 core initiatives: Fundamental Research Programme, Energy Systems Modelling & Demonstration.
Since our creation in 2013, our on-going rigorous and independent research on issues of academic and industry significance delivers new knowledge and new approaches, and places us at the centre of the energy debate, contributing to a more coherent understanding of national and international energy issues.
UCD Energy Institute Industry Affiliates Programme (IAP) brings together industry and academia to maximise opportunities to learn from ground-breaking research, to recruit top talent and to form strategic alliances.
The IAP is a gateway for launching and conducting frequent, open communication between our members and industry. As an IAP member, you will have the following benefits, among others:
• Increase the awareness of academia to industry challenges
• Information on the latest state-of-the-art in the sector
• Exposure to wider UCD Research and Innovation ecosystem and expertise
• Invitations to meetings/workshops/symposia that can be an important source of CPD for employees
• Link to a world-wide collaborative network of leading-edge research teams and institutes
• Researchers and student recruitment opportubities
• Association with an internationally recognised research institute
To become a member of UCD Energy Institute IAP, there is an annual membership fee subscription. Please contact us for further information. Current members of our IAP include:
Dean of Engineering, UCD
Professor of Finance
Chairperson of Renewables Energy Ireland and Director of Tipperary Energy Agency
Adjunct Professor ESRI & UCD
Director of Research, UCD
Vice President EPRI
Chairperson & Adjunct Professor
Deputy CEO ESB
Energy Institute Board Member
Head of Energy, Climate Change and Infrastructure at AIB
Managing Director, SSE Ireland